What is a floating bookshelf? A floating/invisible bookshelf is a sort of unit that is fixed to the wall but has the wall anchors or screws hidden on the shelf boards. It appears to be floating in midair on the wall, with no legs or any means of support from the ground.
Benefits of a floating bookshelf
- Space saving- Floating unit takes up small space as compared to traditional bookshelves that sit on the floor. Because they are hung on the wall, you have more room to decorate other items in the space they don’t take up.
- Attractive aesthetics- Having a floating bookshelf in your home is one way to bring a touch of beauty and sophistication to any room. They brighten up plain walls while also providing storage for your belongings.
- Easy Installation – Floating units are super easy to mount on the wall and do not require you to be handy for them to install. Also, no special tools are required, just a drill and screws and the procedure is a walk in the park.
- Versatile- A floating bookshelf can be used in a variety of settings, including bedrooms, libraries, living spaces, children’s rooms, and offices. Floating bookshelves can also be used to organize or showcase a wide range of things, including framed photos, plants, artwork, decor items, collectibles, and books.
- Accessibility– Floating shelves are ideal for storing items that you regularly use, such as books, since you don’t need to bend down to retrieve any item.
- Cost Effective- When compared to a standard bookshelf, floating bookcases are very inexpensive, yet there are high floating shelf units that are costly.
Types of floating bookshelf
There are several types of bookshelves you can choose from. Each of the ones below has its own unique design, style, and functionality.
- Corner floating bookshelves: These are types of bookshelves designed specifically to fit into an empty corner space. Mostly have a triangular design where the back side is mounted to the corner wall using the wall fixers or anchors and are ideal for storing books or showcasing all your treasures
- Invisible floating bookshelves: These pieces of furniture are designed to make it appear as if your books or belongings are floating in the air. This is due to the fact that the bracket that holds the books appears to be hidden by the stack of things you place.
- Concealed bracket floating shelf: This form of floating shelf is similar to invisible floating shelves, but the brackets are concealed but visible.
- Ledge Floating bookshelf: Because of their unique design, ledge floating bookshelves are among the most popular shelf unit for children’s rooms. The brackets have a front ledge that prevents books from dropping or sliding.
- Modular floating shelves: This is one of the most functional floating shelves on the market today. It comes with a number of small shelves that are not configured, allowing you to organize and personalize the shelves to your satisfaction.
- Picture frame floating bookshelf: This is one of the more unusual bookshelves you’ll come across. The general design is similar to a picture frame with a clear acrylic cover: the acrylic blanket is designed to keep your books in place. It is ideal for organizing books, magazines, and other creative items.
Materials Used In Floating Shelves
The shelving bookcase comes with different types of material. When selecting the type of shelf unit, you need to consider factors such as the desired look, budget, and durability. Each one will be discussed below:
- Wood- is one of the popular materials that most bookshelves are made from. Wood such as cherry, oak, and maple is durable and also can be painted to match the decor of the room. Wood is also sturdy and has a natural beauty that adds to your room. Consider wood if you are looking for a durable bookshelf or if you want to add a charming beauty to your room.
- Metal: Consider a metal bookshelf if you want unit shelves that add a modern look to your room or a durable material that will last decades. The bookshelves can come in a variety of metals such as steel or aluminum. This type of bookcase is ideal for storing heavy items because metal will hold a lot of capacity without breaking.
- Glass: Consider a glass bookshelf if you want to add to your room a sleek or modern look. Glass shelves can be made from tempered or annealed glass. Both bring strength and durability but it is recommended to store items that are not heavy such as small trinkets or paperbacks.
- MDF or Particle Boards: Similar to wood in terms of can be painted to match the color of your decor, however, the materials are not that durable and don’t has a natural touch as compared to wood. The only advantage over wood is that they are affordable.
- Stone: Stone floating shelves boast a lavish and elegant look on a bookshelf. This type of bookshelf can come in marble or granite. Mostly these types of shelves are durable and very expensive.
- Acrylic: One of the lightweight and durable materials you will find on a bookshelf. It is ideal for creating floating bookshelves and comes in a variety of colors.
List of tools you need to build a floating bookshelf
To build a sturdier bookshelf, there are certain tools that you need to have: including a drill, level, screws, brackets, a saw, and sandpaper. We will explain the function of each one below.
A power drill: one of the must-have tools for any DIY project. This is the tool you use to drill holes in the wall.
Level: This is the tool that will help you ensure that the bookshelf is level and straight when you anchor the brackets into the wall.
Screws are important to secure your bookshelf to the wall. Also, the screws are used to attach the bookshelf to the brackets. Make sure you have enough screws.
Brackets– You will need L-shaped brackets that hold up the bookshelf. For a floating bookshelf, the metal supports are hidden from view when you attach them to the wall.
Saw: To cut the wood into different pieces, you will need a saw. Consider having a circular one so that you can cut straight lines.
Sandpaper: To smooth the rough edges, consider buying sandpaper or other smoothening material.
Measuring Tape– Ensure you have a measuring tape to make sure you measure the dimensions of the wall where you will place the bookcase. Also, you will use the measuring tape to measure the length and width of your bookcase. This will ensure that the brackets are spaced accordingly.
Pencil or marker: A pencil is used to make a mark of where you will drill holes after measuring the length and width of your bookcase
Tips on how to install a floating Bookcase
Installing a floating bookshelf is relatively easy and can be completed in a few steps. Before we start building a floating shelf, here is the material that you need to have: A screwdriver, wall anchor, level, measuring tape, L- shaped metal brackets, screws, a level, and a pencil. Once you have gathered all the tools required, follow the following steps:
Step 1: Choose the location where you want to anchor your bookshelf: After you’ve determined the sweet spot, measure the height and length of the area where you want to install your bookcase. You can use a measuring tape to determine the height and length of the wall where you wish to install the bookcase.
Step 2:Install the wall anchors– Here, use the drill to install the wall anchor in the location where you want your bookshelf to be.
Step 3: Mount the brackets to the wall: Insert the brackets into the wall and align them with the wall anchors. You must also drill them tightly into the wall anchors.
Step 4: Connect the board to the brackets: Place the metal or wooden board on top of the brackets and screw it to the brackets. If they don’t have any holes, you can use the drill to make some.
Step 5: Check for level: Verify the leveling: Use the level to see if the boards are straight and level. If they are not, straighten them out.
Step 6: Once you’ve confirmed that your floating bookcase is securely fastened to the wall and well-leveled, you may add books and other decorations to the shelf.
Maintenance and cleaning of a floating bookshelf
- Dust the bookshelf with a duster, vacuum cleaner, or soft cloth. A vacuum cleaner is ideal for removing dirt from hard-to-reach areas. Furthermore, if the bookshelf is constructed of wood or metal, apply the cleaning solution to eliminate all stains and grime.
- Water must be avoided at all costs. Water can damage the wood and cause stains. Additionally, avoid using dangerous chemicals like ammonia to clean the bookshelf because ammonia will destroy the finish of the material.
- You must inspect for damage such as cracks and loose screws on a regular basis. If you find any cracks, it is best to repair them as soon as possible to avoid severe damage.
You must arrange the books properly to avoid sliding off and also avoid overloading the bookshelf.